Monday, January 3, 2011

Tebowner

First and foremost, I am an admitted Broncos fan, let's get that out there right off the bat.  Had Tebow not been drafted by Denver I would probably be disinterested in this discussion, but since he's slated to be the QB of the team that I root for, I am knee deep!  I'd like to point out that this dude has played three games in the NFL, the last three games of a truly bad season for the Broncos.  They aren't a good football team with him, they weren't a good team without him.  They have one great player, Brandon Lloyd, and a few bright spots scattered throughout their roster, but ultimately, they're just plain bad.  The Defense is pitiful and the running game might be worse.  With that said, Tebow has played admirably in his three game debut.  I'm not going to stand here and say he's the next Peyton or Brady or Brees or Rodgers or Rivers, but I think he can be a good professional QB.  My reasoning is simple, he's in the NFL.

I feel like Tebow's athleticism is very underrated.  He's legitimately fast, he's legitimately large and he's very athletic.  His throwing motion is what it is, although I think all the questions have a little more to do with the fact that he's a lefty and his delivery looks a little funky than anything else.  With all that said, he's in the NFL, which means that he's being coached by the best there is.  Those guys in the NFL are amazing coaches.  And Tebow is the perfect canvas for a talented QB coach.  He's humble enough to listen, he's got an outstanding work ethic and a drive to succeed.  He's got some intangibles that are going to make him good.  He will listen and work to get better all the time.  His efforts will be sincere and when you combine that with his abilities and the great coaching he should receive in the league, I think he's got a shot to be pretty good.

Everyone has an opinion on Tebow.  The media has been crediting this guy with creation since his sophomore season in college.  I know that drives people crazy, I was among the masses who couldn't stand watching Tyler Hansborough while he was at UNC for a lot of the same reasons.  The thing of it is, it's not his fault.  I've also heard people saying that Tebow is nothing but hype, that his actions on the field are cheesy and hollow.  All I can say to that is that there is something that's not translating through the TV set.  It sure seems like everyone who meets this dude is overwhelmed by him personally.  I don't know what kind of person he is, but let's be honest, neither do you.  If you take an objective look at him, you can easily not like the way he acts, but no one who ever played with him or interviewed him described him as fake or cheesy.

At the end of it all, he's played three games in the NFL on a bad team, and I've watched all three.  The Broncos are 1-2 in those games and would have lost the two games they did lose with just about any QB playing (outside of a few of the very best) and the game they were able to win they did so because of Tebow not despite him.  The thing I can't figure is why do we all feel like we have to put a guy into a 'will he or won't he' box before he actually plays?!?!  Everyone wants to say, 'he won't make it, his throwing motion doesn't translate' or something like this.  How about this, let him play.  Let him compete.  If he's good enough he'll make it, if not, he won't.  But at the end of the day, why do people want to see this guy fail?  What has Tebow EVER done to be hated?  The answer is nothing.  By all accounts he's a great person and a great competitor.  We'll see how good he is after he's played a little while longer.  I'll respectfully hold my judgment until then!

2 comments:

  1. I hope he fails! Of course, that's the Chiefs fan in me talking. Hopefully he can pick up two wins each against the scumbag Raiders and Chargers next year.

    I agree that the hatred for Tebow is purely a media creation. If every announcer didn't gush over him like he was a combination of Steve Young and Jesus Christ, he would be liked by a lot more people. It's not fair to him, but it's also not fair to me to have to listen to it nonstop. Same goes for Favre, until #4 turned himself into a villain the last few years. Not that anyone at ESPN realizes that still.

    ReplyDelete